PUPPY PRICING FOR 2024 (The Following puppy prices apply to puppies that are taken home or delivered On or After January 1st, 2024. This applies to everyone who was on our waiting list in 2023 or earlier, but will not be taking home a puppy until 2024.)
You may be asking yourself why our prices for puppies are much more affordable than so many other breeders and pet stores. The answer is simple: We are not in this for the money, and we did not quit our jobs because we found out we could make a whole lot of money by breeding dogs. No, we do this because we are passionate about Golden Retrievers and we love to bring joy and excitement into people's homes who adopt a puppy into their family. No family or individual should be without a Golden Retriever. They are hands down the best family pet to own and that is the overwhelming consensus from many sources. Many breeders have recently jumped their prices upwards to as much as $3000 to $5000 for a Golden Retriever puppy. Why? Because the pandemic has caused the demand for puppies to be very high and many breeders see this as an opportunity to price gouge the public. But those breeders are not in the breeding business as a passion. They are in it purely for the money. Pet stores are not much different. They will buy a whole litter of maybe 7 or 8 puppies from a breeder for maybe $5000 to $6000 and turn around and sell the puppies for $4000 each. And people will pay that price just to be able to walk in the store and walk out with a puppy that very same day.
Throughout our website, you may have noticed the price of our puppies shows a range. When a puppy litter is born, the price is then fixed when we know how many pups we have available for our customers. We do this because our puppy prices are based on what it costs us to care for our adult Goldens (i.e., Vets bills, food, kennel facilities, treatments, supplements, grooming, utilities, etc), and our expenses to breed our Goldens and raise the puppies for the first nine weeks (i.e., Vet bills, food, nursery facilities, vaccinations, de-wormings, utilities, etc.). In short, our expenses remain pretty much the same whether we have four puppies in a given litter or ten puppies. Therefore, when we have small litters, the price of each puppy is towards the top of the range, and with larger litters, the price is towards the bottom of the range.
Over the years, we noticed when we had a litter with a very small number of one gender (say, 1 or 2 males) and a larger number of the other gender (5 or 6 females), the males would be purchased within a day or two and the females would take a much longer time to sell (or vice-versa). But many people would actually be just as happy with either gender, whereas some people are really depending on and needing a particular gender for various reasons. Because of this, we have set the cost higher for a puppy when there are only a few of that gender in a litter. This is beneficial to some because those with no real gender preference can benefit from the lower price of the puppy gender with plenty available and those with a gender specific need may need to pay more if there ends up being only a few of that gender in the litter.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please keep in mind that when you place a single deposit, you are putting yourself on the waiting list for a male or a female, not both. If you are flexible to have either a male or female puppy, you need to put two (2) deposits down, one on each gender (both deposits will go towards the purchase of the puppy you finally take home).
All puppies that are delivered or taken home starting January 1st, 2024 will have a base price of $1800 with a maximum price of $2200. This includes everyone who was on our waiting list in 2023 or earlier, but will not be taking home a puppy until 2023. The following guidelines give our customers an idea of how the puppy pricing is established for each litter after the pups are born once we know the total number of males and females in a litter:
The base price for a puppy is $1800 and the following adjustments apply based on the total number of pups:
- If the total number of pups is 10 or more, $0 is added to the cost of each pup;
- If the total number of pups is 8 or 9, $100 is added to the cost of each pup;
- If the total number of pups is 6 or 7, $200 is added to the cost of each pup;
- If the total number of pups is 5 or less, $400 is added to the cost of each pup.
In addition to the above price adjustments, the following also apply by gender (male or female):
- If the number of pups in a gender is 4 or more, $0 is added to the cost of that gender;
- If the number of pups in a gender is 3, $200 is added to the cost of that gender;
- If the number of pups in a gender is 2, $300 is added to the cost of that gender;
- If the number of pups in a gender is 1, $400 is added to the cost of that gender;
Here are some examples of how the above price adjustments would work out:
- A litter of 10 pups is born, 6 males and 4 females, the price of all pups is $1800.
- A litter of 8 pups is born, 4 males and 4 females, the price of all pups is $1900.
- A litter of 8 pups is born, 5 males and 3 females, males $1900, females $2100.
- A litter of 8 pups is born, 6 males and 2 females, males $1900, females $2200.
- A litter of 7 pups is born, 5 males and 2 females, males $2000, females $2200.
- A litter of 6 pups is born, 1 male and 5 females, male $2200, females $2000.
- A litter of 5 pups is born, 2 males and 3 females, the price of all pups is $2200.
- A litter of 5 pups is born, 5 males and 0 females, males pups are $2200.
- 1st Priority deposits are $300 (non-refundable if you cancel).
- 2nd Priority deposits are $200 (non-refundable if you cancel).
- Stanby reservations do not require a deposit unless we notify you that we have a puppy for you after they are born. At that time, a $500 non-refundable deposit is required for all Standby reservations.
- In all cases above, your total deposit amount (including all your previous deposits) must come to a total of $1,000 when the puppies turn 5 weeks old. At the time when you come out to our facility to pick your puppy (or video chat with us), you will need to make this additional payment.
- Your final balace (purchase price with taxes and shipping if applicable) minus the total amount of all your previously paid deposits must be paid on or before the day your puppy goes to your home. If we are shipping your puppy to you, your balance must be paid the week before we ship. For more information on this please click here.
We hope this helps our customers to know what to expect when they get on our waiting list to buy a puppy. We have looked all over the internet and in pet stores across the U.S. and our prices are still among the lowest you will find anywhere from a premier quality Golden Retriever breeder. We truly believe that middle income families with children and lots of expenses should not have to forego the purchase of one of the best dog breeds in the world simply because they can't afford the purchase price. We love our adopting families who provide great homes for one of our babies! Thank you for considering Emery-n-Denise's Golden Puppies.